Monday, March 27, 2017

Thoughts on Shakespeare

   Although I have only been taught/read one play from Shakespeare, I really like his work. I think Romeo and Juliet was a story that no one else would have come up with. It takes true creativity and brilliance to create such an intricate story. His work, to me, is timeless and brilliant. I found Romeo and Juliet to be very interesting and the story is revolutionary. My favorite musical, 'West Side Story' is based off Romeo and Juliet and put into more modern times.
   The only trouble about Shakespeare is that when reading it, it's hard for me to comprehend. Because the plays and stories are so old, I don't understand some of the phrases and vocabulary used. I think it would be much more enjoyable to read if I could understand it. Also, when reading aloud, the words are sometimes hard to pronounce and I don't always get the full story. This is because a lot of the tale gets lost in translation. If his plays were put into modern day speech, I think I would be more comfortable with it.
   In spite of Shakespeare's work being hard for me to comprehend and put into my own words, I would rather have difficulty with it than not read it at all.  It would be a shame to miss out on great works of literature just because understanding it doesn't come easy. I'm excited to begin reading 'A Midsummer Nights Dream'. I look forward to reading another piece written by Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment